I am committed to providing high quality teaching. At NC State, I have designed and taught (1) a face-to-face undergraduate course on deviance and social control, and (2) both a face-to-face and an online undergraduate courses on sociological research methods. I also served as a lab instructor for sociological research methods and served as TA for various courses including social class; criminology; institutions of social control; and sociology of law.
I am particularly interested in teaching: crime, deviance and social control; criminological theory; community and crime; community and urban sociology; family and the life course; and social research methods.
- 2019 SAGE Publishing Keith Roberts Teaching Innovations Award, SAGE Publications and American Sociological Association Section Teaching and Learning.
- Award for Excellence in Classroom Teaching 2017, North Carolina State University Graduate Student Association–A competitive award given to “graduate students [who] exemplified the University’s highest degree of teaching achievement in the classroom environment in 2017 [academic year].” This award was given in Spring 2018.
Peer-Reviewed Pedagogical Publications:
- Kawaguchi, Riku. 2019. “Give Methods a Chance Paper.” Assignment published in TRAILS: Teaching Resources and Innovations Library for Sociology. Washington DC: American Sociological Association. (http://www.asanet.org/teaching-learning/trails). See the abstract and other basic information about this assignment here.
Instructor of Record at North Carolina State University
- Social Research Methods (online), Summer 2018, Summer 2019
- Social Research Methods (face-to-face), Spring 2019
- Social Deviance (face-to-face), Spring 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Fall 2018
Lab Instructor at North Carolina State University
- Sociological Research Methods (online), Spring 2016, Summer 2016, Summer 2017.
- Sociological Research Methods (face-to-face), fall 2015
Assistant Instructor at North Carolina State University
- Technology in Society and Culture (Online), Summer 2015, Summer 2017
You can find more information about my teaching in my teaching portfolio, which includes my teaching experience, an extended teaching statement, a summary of official class evaluation by students, a summary of informal student feedback survey, and sample syllabi and assignments. Click here to see my teaching portfolio.
Also available is unofficial evaluation at ratemyprofessors.com.